2019 Year in Review
Another year has flown by and what a great year it was! As we look back on the past 12 months, we’re taking the time to celebrate all of the changes and accomplishments we’ve gone through as an organization!
- Celebrated 10 years as a foundation!
- Took in 26 new residents needing a home, including 4 new species: Red Rump Tarantula, Chilean Tarantula, Blue Tongued Skink, and Ball Python. They now will live out their lives at ZoFo’s sanctuary! We also said goodbye to some beautiful souls that called our sanctuary home. We will miss them all dearly!
- We were approved as a Cultural Facility by Douglas County, which allowed us to build a new, large barn for our big pigs, and a barn for our cows!
- Partnered with Stone Canyon Outdoor EdVentures to run a spring break and fall break animal adventure camp. These camps brought in 80 kids over the four, two-day camps!
- Ran two, one-day camps for 5&6 year olds, and three, four-day camps for 7-12 year olds at our sanctuary. Our camps brought in 62 kids who care about and respect animals and the environment!
- Designed and released a brand new website!
- Continued giving public and group tours where we were able to share our message and residents’ stories with hundreds of people.
- Continued our partnership with Wellspring Community in which their STARS were able to take classes at the sanctuary, as well as volunteer their time. We also partnered with Sky Cliff Community and the Denver Focus Group to bring more volunteer opportunities to adults with special needs.
- Spoke at offsite events including the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Youth Conference and Larkspur Elementary School.
- Participated in a nationwide research study on humane education and presented preliminary findings at three conferences.
- Started the C.A.M.E.L. Club, a free youth membership program that includes online activities and events at the sanctuary.
- Hosted our second annual fall festival in conjunction with the Venue at Crooked Willow Farms. This year, we doubled our attendance from the first year! It was a great event and we’re so thankful to everything that showed up to support us!
- With the help of our vet tech, Meg, our animal care staff became more educated and self reliant in wound care, vaccinations (that do not require a vet on hand), health evaluations, and large animal behavior.
- Hired two part-time animal care staff members to help with our growing needs at the sanctuary!
- Welcomed in 11 new volunteers who bring so much to our organization and continued celebrating those who have been with us before this year. We cannot do what we do without all of their help!
- Said goodbye to our awesome executive director of 2.5 years, Avie, as she retired and moved on to her new personal business! We miss you and are proud of you, Avie!
- Congratulated the promotion of our previous sanctuary manager, Anna, to general manager. She has stepped into the roll beautifully and we truly appreciate her leadership!
2019 was a big year full of great change for ZoFo and we’re excited to see what 2020 brings! Thank you all for your continued support, we couldn’t do what we do without you!
Sign-Up for our Newsletter
Want to stay in touch with Zoology, stay up to date on our events and be the first to hear more about what's coming next? Sign-up for our e-mail list!Sign Up